Saturday, June 26, 2010

Homemade Mayo and Tomato Sandwiches


I plan on eating a tomato sandwich every day this week. From the Farmer's market, I got heirloom tomatoes, Hanover tomatoes and yellow cherry tomatoes. Tomato overload? I think not. Like soft shell crabs, one should eat as many as humanly possibly while they are in season. For those of you who are not privy to the pleasures of a tomato sandwich, all that is needed is: bread, tomatoes, mayo and salt and pepper. Real mayo is underrated and so simple to make. My mother gave me this recipe last year. Here's how you do it.

HOMEMADE MAYO
In a Cuisinart combine
-1 egg, raw
-1/2 tsp dijon
mustard
-1/8 tsp salt
-1 TB lemon juice
Blend well. Then through the blender hole while blending add
-3/4 cup of canola oil. Blend well.

Done. Simple and delicious. This will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. This time, I added fresh tarragon from my herb garden. I imagine just about any herb could only enhance the mayo. Perhaps, I'll try basil and garlic next time...
And yes, this mayo contains raw eggs. If I write another post, you will know that Salmonella did not kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment